Jung and Phenomenology

Jung and Phenomenology by Roger Brooke, Routledge, 1991; Trivium, 2009.

I am finding this fine volume of use, as I did several years ago and I'm happy to see that it has been re-issued. Brooke goes a long way towards untangling the philosophical incoherences in Jung's work and freeing his profound psychological insights from some of his more dubious and contentious claims. This is a nice companion to Ed Casey's work which I mentioned in an earlier blog. This book seems to me indispensable for anyone thinking seriously about Jung's work.

Now at Duquesne, Brooke lists the writers who have been most influential to his work on his faculty page and I think the list gives a good idea of the nature of this book: Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Jung, Freud, Winnicott, Guntrip, Melanie Klein, Casement, Laing, Samuels and other post-Jungians, Boss, Romanyshyn.

Comments

Popular Posts